Kefir and more fermentation

During the time I was away from Seattle, my apartment got a delivery of a nice 2oz packet of milk kefir starter, the order for which I'd completely forgotten because it was through my work. Because my delay in processing natural materials has led me to tight spots such as that bag of mushroom growing without me being ready for it, I put the starter on a cup of milk right away. Now it's a wait for 36 hours for the first batch, and perhaps two more batches until I can use the grains to make proper kefir to drink. It'll be yum. yum. yum.

Speaking of yummies I'll start fermenting fruits and vegetables, make 'kraut, kimchi, fermented tomatoes and potatoes going forward before cooking them. For the practice of it if nothing else. It's more nutritious, tastier, and I love the whole 'preprocesing food' vibe.

Still got the 4-month old batch of kombucha I need to start, so here we go I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.