Will the milk kefir grains work on regular water? We'll find out! And other kefir projects

 I'm on my fourth/fifth round of kefir making, not as impressive as with Kombucha because they get done in 24/48 hours. It gets boring after a while though, put milk, sieve the old batch through muslin, rinse and repeat. It's all milk. And adding flavors is a little complicated, not as slick, so I'm planning on branching out.

The first project I'm exploring is using the milk kefir bubbles for making water kefir. Fizzy juices right at home, carbonation naturally over a few days without having to work with kombucha. Plus you can add flavors. Fizziness is exciting yo!

The second one is carbonating the milk kefir. Drop some sugar and fruit in the processed kefir, put it in an airtight bottle, and let the yeasties do their job. It could turn out really well, I'm excited for that. Need to acquire pressure vessel for this.

The third project is making cheese out of the kefir. Strain out the water, dehydrate the milk solids, and let them age over weeks and months until they are firm and creamy. Depends how creamy or thick you wanna. What a great way to get rid of extra milk!

Kombucha, and other ferments are still on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.