I been cooking hella 'old new' Nepali recipes, I gotta try cooking them all from scratch to understand

I cooked gundruk twice in the last 10 days, rajma once, titey karela once. All for the first time in my life. Now I'm thinking about how I want to approach Nepali cooking.

I don't want to start with the recipes. I want to be told the raw ingredients, and the general process, not even the spices necessarily, and find my way into the recipe. I want to be told "this and this is what we have eaten, go make it", and stumble my way around the dish for the very first time. The second time I cook it it'll be slightly better but I'll still be figuring out temperatures and spices and steps and oils and what not. The third time I'll be more confident, and by the fourth or fifth time, I'll have a good sense of what veggies (around the central theme) go with what style of cooking with what spice. It is at that point I want to be told the exact recipe with measurements and guided steps so I understand the recipe in context Following a series of steps without understanding the 'theory' is setting one up for an anxiety-ridden cooking process because the cook doesn't understand how their actions are affecting the outcome, so they don't know how exactly to overcome their mistakes or compensate them. Understanding an ingredient allows for that.

Like black eyed beans. I've made them maybe a half-dozen times at this point, and my level of comfort with them is quite high. I understand what they go with and what they don't, and what would make them taste good and what wouldn't. Same for chickpeas. I want to understand for literally all veggies, legumes and lentils, plus grains, used in Nepali cooking. Oh and spices. The spices always gunna be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.