On my f&*$%ing phone

The good news is it's only my second phone in the last four years, and it's not broken yet. I can probably get a good two year's of use if it doesn't bail out on me. A 360 dollar phone over three years is a good value for money in my books, quite comparable to $750 laptops that last easily for six-seven years.

I've had a history of going through way too many phones than I do my laptops, relatively speaking. The higher-end I've gone, the more they've lasted, but not necessarily to account for the best value of money. As of late, it's improved, I have absolutely nothing to complain about my current phone performance-wise. Yeah the screen has a long running crack, but whatchu gonna do when you can't trust the phone case.

So here's the problem: the connector. It's trapped lint and other dirty particles, and it's a pain in the ass to connect it to usb-c chargers. It needs just the right angle, the right pressure. And air-pressure, humidity and temperature too, by the looks of it because it can be so finicky at times. Let's not even talk about the ridiculous lengths I have to put the usb-c cables through, twisting and turning, putting a large pressure on the important joints, just to be sure that my phone will be working the next day.

And sometimes that doesn't work. It simply won't. The phone will show the 'charging' icon, and when I get back to it a half-hour later, it'll have ten fewer percent of battery. As if the mains are someone pulling charge out of my battery.

On few occasions, it'll simply stop charging no matter what I do, how many gymnastic plays I make with the wire and pressure on the connector. I give up hope, look at phone repair places and get out my very old phone that I would honestly sometimes rather break into a thousand pieces, have it dissolve into a vat of boiling acid and then throw it all down a volcano. It's really frustrating my old phone, slow and laggy and unresponsive at the worst times. In any case it's hard to go about a phone these days so I setup the old phone having lost all hope with my nice new phone and set up an appointment with the phone repair center.

And then it'll start charging and generally working. It won't fix itself, the ridiculous pull and press drama is there still but it'll charge and work and I don't have to worry about what's up anymore. I do a precautionary charge throughout the day, to make sure I'm not stuck in an uncharging situation and things are good so I cancel the repair appointment....Though the port is still not fully functioning as long as I have the phone working there's no need to spend money on getting it fixed, that's how I justify it to myself.

And it works. For a week, maybe a month.

And then darkness. Blank. I lose hope again, Make plans to take it to the repair center. Then it fixes itself.

And on and on and on.

It's a sicko.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.