Looking at a friend's example and the fear of losing one's job at a sensitive time

Friend Sb was laid off 10 days ago. My first thought was, oh no. The second thought was, thank gods it wasn't me, because I'm in a sensitive situation in my career visa-wise, and if I wobble around there, my future will be extremely dark, unpredictable and frustrating. Backup plans will be made and executed immediately of course, but the hassle and stress of uprooting oneself and transplanting to a new place, while one was just four to five months away from certainty and stability is frustrating, I'm sure.

To add to that, the industry my company is in has had the worst year in decades and there's talk of layoffs throughout the organization. I probably won't be on the chopping block, one hopes not, but if that is likely to happen, I'd go to great lengths to not make that happen, because again, this would be a mighty unfortunate time to take that up.

In any case, the good thing about Sb's situation is he's in an extremely safe and stable situation visa-wise, he was looking for a career change anyway, and needed something of a kick on the back to motivate him to other interests. Plus he's getting couple of months' worth of severance which means paid vacation and time to search for the next job. Not incredibly awful, all things considered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.