Longing for Boston

The last time I was in Boston in my room was March 10. That was an eight-day stay after return from Nepal and before leaving for VA. The last time I was really in Boston was late January before I left for my trip to Singapore and Nepal. It's been six months since I was in my own room for good. This is wild.

Last night my roommates sent me one of those funny texts with kissy faces and all. I do miss Boston. Things are going to be different now. SS is not coming back to Boston, Sbk might be leaving for good. Roommate SM is gone. It's like we've reset a year to last year when SM was not back yet and when we didn't know SS yet. Bleaker boring black-and-white times they were. Is it going to be the same going forward. Must not be pessimistic. We've met new people in the past. Will keep meeting new people soon once 'meeting' in person isn't a bad word anymore. Maybe the way we interact with people will be reconfigured.

Things I miss. I miss my room, roommates, my strict schedule. I miss my roommates' friends, we had a "Friends"-like thing going on, so many people chillin' in our apartment. I miss the walk/bikeride to TJ's, Wegmans and the quite nice trail we had right next to our house. That you had to cross what was essentially a highway-equivalent street sucked, but it is by the river and quite fun. I miss going hiking to the mountains and the trails right by us. They've opened back up, likely never closed.

I miss my friends in Boston. I wouldn't have met them in these times likely, but with AB's large farm I'd have certainly walked or biked over to check out her chickens and plants. I miss going to work, listening to podcasts and getting my favourite order from my favourite breakfast place downstairs. It'll suck now because when we're back we won't be in the same building we'll have to settle down in a new place, won't be as easy to get quick breakfast fixes as it was. Ahhh.

I miss the streets of Boston and Cambridge and Somerville the streets that I have walked so often. And Boston Common, Chinatown restaurants, the touristy areas near Faneuil Hall, the bars -- fair enough I didn't patronize them for a long time but I'd consider going there just to pay them lots of money to give me non-alcoholic beers -- and even the clubs that I went to only twice in my life and they were alright. I miss allston I miss Longwood and Brookline, I miss the old boston town. I miss the Charles river and the Mystic River by which I live.

It's unclear if things will be the same when I'm back. In the medium term if things go right and this effing election is not a complete and total disaster if there's commonsense from at least one party I'll have at least some certainty in my life. Enough perhaps to be able to commit to buying a house. That's something worth looking forward to. Not it Boston proper nayy, still the area's fine. Worth considering definitely even though shit's frozen for six months of a year.

I miss the potentials that have been lost. I miss the could-have-beens that have been aborted. What's left to do now, what's new how to I become a part of regeneration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.