A summer Saturday situation

A sunny Saturday morning in Shantiban. Summer. Perfect for a suicide. Or so was the plan. Haka considered the situation.

It would be crowded in a few after with picnicking families. It was the rare jogger who came by at this hour in the morning. A sweeper there, a homeless child there, but that was about the entire population of the area so early in the day. Only by the trees and rocks would hear the screams if there to be any. He wanted it to be clean. No mess nothing, just get it done with and over.

He had visited the location each day for two weeks. The Lion-king ledge he liked had a 400-feet fall and ample warning telling the visitors of the danger that lay ahead of them. The previous night when he thought no one was looking he had taken of his trousers and relieved himself into the void below. The wind had blown the pearly yellow stream towards him wetting his socks.

A slight breeze brought in the sweet scent of bougainvillea. He took a large lungful of the smell. You could never tell with life, he thought, snorting at himself. He sat down on rock steps a safe distance away from the overhang. He checked the time. A few more minutes. He had rehearsed this enough he could do it drunk, in his dreams without missing as much as a beat. Tick, tock, tick tock. He couldn't use his phone; he didn't want to be distracted. There was no chance for error. He took a long breath. It will be over soon, he reminded himself. He felt a wave of relief.

He heard the footsteps, one, two, one, two, three. He sprung into action.

Daai, daai or is it didi, can someone take my photo here please he shouted, as he walked towards the running trail, coming out of hiding from behind the bushes. Ohh it's it's---you're doing your morning walk, I came to walk in the morning too, and it's such a brilliant scene, my friends told me about it, but I can't take a good selfie in the ledge. If I take a selfie then you can't see the rocks and the flowers in front of me, can you take a photo of me in the ledge please dai, he said.

The man stopped. He was drenched in sweat, his face pink as a rose wine.  Whaa--whaat--ohh you want me--to --ohh photo, on the ledge-- oh, ohh, it's, he paused to take a full breath. A moment. Yes, yes, the scenery is good here, where are you coming from, the man asked as he walked towards Haka. I actually live in Nakkhu, I was staying at a friend's place nearby and they told me to come here for morning walk. They are too drunk to come, those drunks, he said, hoping his tone had conveyed enough anger. The man smiled. It's alright, you get to see such a nice scenery while they stay home with their heads hurting and spinning, you got the better deal. Now where do you want to stand, he said, taking out his hands for the phone. Haka handed his phone with the camera app configured. In the end of the ledge. I want it to look a little bit dangerous or they will make fun of me for not going all the way. Tell me when I've gone to far and I'll stop, Haka said, walking towards the end of the ledge.

Haka walked until he was a few inches away from the edge. The turned to his camera and had a few photos taken. He turned away, looking at the rising sun, and the man snapped a few more photos. He turned to the side, his face a thoughtful silhouette looking at the hills red with flowers against the bright red sun and deep blue sky. His camera exaggerated the color effects. It looked like a piece of art. Bhayo dai, thank you, he said as he took his phone from the man. Wow, these photos are amazing, I could send them to the newspapers and get them published, hahah, he said at the man. Yeah, and take the credit for it and get the money too, the main said, laughing. Haka laughed. He sighed a heavy sigh, but muffled it with his laughter. Dai you've taken so many good photos of me, I'll take a few of you too, he said. And I can send them to you on viber or messaging, he said pointing his camera at the man and showing him towards the ledge.

The man did not need much convincing, the exaggerated colors of the smartphone camera had made their point well. First pose. He looked at Haka, and Haka snapped shots from all the angles. Second pose. He gave a side-look, and Haka took a far shot and then a couple of close shots. Third pose. The subject looking away from the camera into the void that was the valley. Snap. Low angle. Snap. High Angle. Snap. Dai now just one or two more shots, and I'm done, I'm getting a really good shadow here, he said, as he walked towards the man. The man turned his head around to see Haka sneak up on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.