Thoughts on Made in Heaven

My roommates watched Made in Heaven, the Amazon tv show based in India, last year. I had avoided watching it for the longest time, but this weekend was slow and I wasn't feeling amazing, so I watched it with my roommate's cousin and friend. It's pretty good. I've watched the first six episodes.

Couple of thoughts:
1) The show, like Ghoul that Netflix made, doesn't have too much 'India' in it except when they need to show crazy poverty or superstition or shit conditions [abusive police, abusive husbands, melodrama, etcetera]. Understood, people watch soap operas etcetera for the glam and the drama, but it's still...a bit much... for me. It's just a soap opera with really high production values. Prestige TV it most definitely is not.

2) Sort of related to the above. Even though it's based in India, most of the dialogs are in English. It's meant to show the rich and the fabulous, and targeted to those either aspiring to be that, or people outside India, but it sort of...left a weird taste in my mouth. As if it was some soda that was sweet and great, but really didn't fill you up. I don't want to say it lacked substance because it has content, but there's...something...missing. It's an American business drama that just happens to happen in India imho.

3) All my roommates love this one character (the photographer) who's my least favorite character for some reason. I don't understand how we have these different opinions but here we are.

4) Some episodes I did binge watch, but I'm not too into it, and I could go without watching any of the old or upcoming episodes for the rest of my life.

5) It made me grossed out at the wealth and the show of it, in India. It's unclear to me if it was meant as a criticism of excesses of luxury, or as a descriptive statement, but it really really bothered how ridiculously opulent and gross and 'too much' everything was. Overdone. Not sure if the current trend in India is that way, or if it was just the production team taking liberties for the sake of their global audience, but it did make me see the logic behind idealistic communist takeovers. I wouldn't be surprised if it's inspired other people to consume the rich too, so to speak.  Or the other way perhaps. Sigh.

6) Good depiction of homosexuality and women's issues, but who are they kidding, the people who need to be told that aren't going to be watching this, and the people who watch this don't need to be told necessarily. I guess it's still a net positive, shifting the overton window in entertainment media in India.

7) Too many 'everyone is a liar and everyone cheats and men are trash' occasions. I do love me some drama, but it's possible those with more impressionable minds may take entertainment for education, considering this is so well produced.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.