Shorter days and bad traffic

I'm writing this on the bus back home. I wrote a couple of weeks ago how the commute has improved so much lately after they made the bus lanes. Things had been great for two months. More recently though, as the days have gone shorter and night falls before I get home, the busrides have become so much longer. The trains seem to be off their cycles, and the buses -- when they do come on time -- take much longer to go around than they did the the first few days of the change. I'm beginning to wonder if the length of the days and my bustrips are related. Maybe people leave for home early in fear of the dark and cause all this extra traffic. Or everyone is just mad and depressed and doesn't want to give way.

The bus lanes are alright, the lights seem to go longer. The people seem to take longer to get in and longer to get out. Where there's no special lanes, the traffic is a lot worse, the situation is a lot worse. And by the time I get home, even when I'm full and satisfied, all I want to do is fall to my bed and get a nice and solid nap.

There's apps for that, for gaining a good night's sleep by watching soothing videos and listening to songs. Yet I don't believe they work  as good as the seasonal sadness and the tight comfortable warmth of a heated apartment in the cold wasteland that is Boston. I was almost there a year ago, napping every opportunity I got, tired and sleepy as a lazy dog as soon as I got home for no discernible reason. Yet this year I've been organising everything, get things in order. All to avoid last year's fate, to enjoy the season, to live more, socialize. To be productive, for myself. Get things done. Now I don't seem to care anymore as I fall asleep in the bus.

Funny, how these things work. As I walk home from the bus right now, all the lethargy and tiredness seems to have gone. Is it possible it's just the bus and the traffic? I hope so, well find out next week when the darkness comes here an hour earlier.

Fingers crossed 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.