Nothing day forreal this time [Friday 18]

Napped for two hours after returning from work, and watched the entirety of Netflix series Living with Yourself after. The idea of a sudden clone appearing and disrupting your life was an idea I came up in 2012, and wrote some really piece of shit plot on, in this very blog. At least I know where I messed it up.

I think in terms of scenes, like I'm writing for a tv show or a movie. But in terms of storytelling, I move like a very long novel, slow and meandering. Which means I write scenes, that don't captivate the reader because there's not a lot at stake. Watching the series has been a revelation: I kept thinking about how I would write it, and saw how they dealt with it, and figured out where it all goes wrong. In my writing I'm only dealing with one, linear plot point, and then killing it to its death, and then waiting for another plot point to arise. Like chaptered novels. In captivating tv series, or even novels, there's multiple story arcs going about, so if one plot falls apart, another picks up. If one's knots are cleared, there's new one discovered. That's what drives the story, the drama and the conflict. I have trouble coming up with good drama and conflict, or anything that happens really. What I write is stasis where nothing happens.

I need to start writing more stories where things happen, conflicts arise, people fight, make up, kiss, sleep together. Real people stories (or maybe fantastic ones) that people actually want to read about and care for the characters. Once I get in the writing groove, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.