Cooked again! [Thursday 24]

As I write this, I'm out in the common room talking to roommate PK and semi-roommate I. They're talking about going to gradschool, because PK is done with working, doesn't want to work and just wants an out of this bs 9-5 work-till-you-die life. We were discussing the possibility of living as landowners in an rentier economy, and that appears to be of common preference. Regardless, as of right now, the boys want to go to grad school soon.

Roommates PK and SM ordered groceries using Instacart from wegmans, so many packages to unpack, such a tight fridge now.

Shaved, finally, after a really long time. It's always a surprise how long it takes me to shave, today it was almost 20 minutes. I timed it this time, and I realized a large portion of it involves cleaning up all the little bits of hair from every nook and cranny in the sink and the shaving blade. I'd been lazy all this time, tomorrow's SS's birthday party (though apparently it's only a token birthday party, and the real birthday party is later) and there could be people who could be interesting, and I don't want to look like an old hobo to them. Just a regular hobo please, because that reflects my true self. Did the workouts before that, I'd rested yesterday and I was in my full form today without missing a beat. I wish I could go back to inspiring myself to do intense cardio. Maybe I should look into insanity or p90x just for the cardio, if what bothers me about it is leaving the house.

Before that I was working on writing the previous post. I'd marked 20 minutes to write it, ended up spending 35 minutes, because it got out of hand, but I'm not ashamed of it. If I polished it right, and put it well together with the rest of the story, that could be going somewhere, it feels like. I wanted it to be funnier, but one thing at a time. When I come back to the second or third draft, I'm going to be more mindful about what funny stuff I want to add and keep around.

Before that, I was talking to PK and I and roommate BB while we watched The Office in the background. Roommate SM has been AWOL of late, coming back home much after midnight every day. It's probably the midterm season that's stressing him out and the increased workload that's not giving him any time to eat and hang out in peace.

Before that I ate rice (that SM had made) with the Oyster mushrooms and mustard greens  that I'd made. I added furikake to the rice, and I couldn't really taste it, but it must have been good, I found the rice quite palatable. I keep forgetting this everytime I make mustard greens, because they're quite bitter really particularly if you overcook them, I forget that every goddamn time and end up thinking how bad of an idea it was. It goes well with a lot of butter and garlic, but what doesn't really. I crisped the mushrooms and added extra garlic, and that's where all the bitterness came from. I added pickle-water to the dish before eating because it would have been too bitter otherwise, but still, ugh. It was pretty good, I have leftovers, and I'll eat it again and cook it again happily, but gotta remember to cook in small batches, and buy the long-stemmed greens, and not the broad-leafed ones.

As I write this, roommate SM just came back home in his bike, and I was surprised and confused that he came from the back door since he had never seen someone come up from there.

Before that I talked to PK and BB a bit, cleaned up, youtubed, and just wasted time really. I should have been working, I brought my laptop home this evening so I could work, but I couldn't make myself work. Whatever. I youtubed for about an hour after coming back before PK called me out to talk and chill. Almost napped there too.

The busride back home before that was pretty shitty, as I've mentioned in the previous trip. My entire ride back home took a solid hour, maybe even a little more, and most of it was spent either waiting for the train or the bus, or just standing in rightly-packed tuna cans of trains. Awful, awful experience. That's what provoked the post. At least with the red line, I can sit in comfort for 30 minutes and write whatever I want.

Work was fruitful but wasteful, and I felt generally good by the time I left, but I still have a lot to work on. I feel well-motivated lately. I didn't get much (or any) writing done at work, particularly for fiction stuff, but I wouldn't call it a bad day. For lunch I had the egg sandwich that is my signature item they should name after me at the sandwich shop below my office. I added two packs of mayo, 90 calories each, and two packets of hot sauce, and oh goddamn it was so satisfying.

Here's my latest thought on mayonnaise: people don't actually care for the mayo itself, but mayo is only a vehicle to stabilize and carry oil for circumstances people don't want to admit they're eating oil. And the oil is good and satisfying. Yeah, squeezeable oil is an incredible technology, lets give credit where it's due but lets not be fooling ourselves, it's oil in jel form.

The commute to work was pretty long and annoying, I missed a couple of buses and trains my moments. Commute at this time of the year would be so much more stressful if there were no podcasts to listen to.

Which reminds me that I've started listening to my regular gang of podcasts and it feels like I'm hanging out with old friends.

In the morning I ended up leaving late because I got lazy and there was the weird dream plus I spent a lot of time writing the post about my dreams. At least I didn't forget to pack any of the basic things -- two apples. They were amazing, two apples a day is really the perfect amount of apple one can have this time of the year, I was so so so content after lunch, after my 2 apples and a very mayonaissie lunch.

As I write this, the boys are eating midnight dinner since SM just got back, and talking about getting groceries on bikes. Which reminds me, we set out mousetraps all over the house after I came back from work, I'm afraid I am the likeliest person to trip it off and lose an appendage or any of the digits.

I is going back home, and he tipped a lot of money which he mentioned earlier about, to the wrong uber driver. The thing about debt is, it's all on credit cards, which as everyone knows, is not real money.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.