More on oats

Oats have been a regular part of my diet for a while now.

I eat a cup of oats with almond milk, mixed nuts (cashew, almonds, pistachios), raisins/craisins, a little granola mix, and freeze dried bananas and apples. The cup (I use the wework mugs) goes into the microwave for 3 minutes, and I eat it out over about an hour. It's too hot to eat in a short sitting. The other factor that I hadn't considered is that the mixture is really filling. I could not eat at all in a short sitting because it'd be too fulling. I used to pour in about half a packet of cane sugar, but with the craisins and granola mix, it's already too sweet. On days that I buy breakfast at work such as today, I'm too full to eat a full lunch, so I put this out for lunch. Savory egg sandwich for breakfast and a sweet-ish oats for lunch.

I like savory oats too. Cook with milk (or water) in the microwave, soy sauce, kimchi, loads of butter, spicy sauce, a little salt if the soy salt is not salty enough, and other interesting achaars. Sometimes I crack open an egg in the bowl, but since my roommates made fun of me for that, I high-heat fry an egg or two, sunny side up, and dump it in. It's really filling, makes me really proud of the 'invention'. I originally discovered the idea of savory oats from the menu at The Oat Shoppe (http://oatshopboston.com/) and my life has not been the same since, no joke. I eat reasonably healthily, even on days I don't feel like putting a lot of effort into cooking. I should actually go to the oat shop some day instead of just being inspired by their menu.

Then there's the oat pancakes I wrote about yesterday. While yesterday's oat-kimchi-pancake experiment failed, just regular high-protein oat-flour (that I buy because it says "high protein" which makes me believe it has to be higher in protein than regular oats) made on the heavily-buttered pan is very good. I eat it with vegetables/achaars and kimchi if there's any around, and as always, so so filling, reasonably healthy, and not a lot of work.

I cook grits the same way as savory oats too and that's pretty great too. I've been trying to move into more veggies and protein-y things more recently, but these are bound to be my staples for the foreseeable future. It's not just oats, but that's where my roti journey began.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.