On the need for a good workspace

 The reason I didn't write for almost two weeks in Seattle is simple, I've discovered. It was because I didn't have a workspace to work at, and having my laptop on the lap literally was not very conducive to writing thousands of words every day.

Then I realized actually that's been the major reason in the past where I've stopped writing. Singapore: no good place to work. Nepal: no good workspace, and no good time for me to write, with family all about me and what not. Here in Seattle before I got a nice workspace made by putting A's large machine somewhere else: same issue. VA last year: same problem.

Maybe it's about motivation and internal energy and the sun and everything else yes, but also about working conditions. And I know people say if you're motivated enough you can write anywhere, and that's true, but you need a place to sit down, and a surface to put a laptop on, and at least some peace and quiet so you can focus your mind on the material at hand. It's not always easy.

This has been a fantastic discovery. Now I know that if I'm not writing well, or running behind on posts, I just need to get myself in a good environment to inspire myself.

Great lesson learnt in Seattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.