Daily life of an infra engineer: a poem

At work, how things have shifted!
I am given clear instructions,
on what needs to be done
and where our priorities lie on,
Which of our tasks matter more
and how to separate the extra stuff
from the work that lies to the core.

My workdays these times are busy,
Figuring out the documentation
buzzing through the bug-hunt,
try for a fix or two or three out,
and getting the rest of the team to verify,
when confident and certain it wouldn't break
we take it to higher environments and deploy,
unlike the last place in the last team
when even after months and years of work
it was hard to get a simple win.
Not just a difference in the nature of work it is
the work is the same, truth be told,
what is different is who designs
what is to be done,
and the feedback that is given
to the engineers on the direction to be taken.
Let's make our choices, I remind everyone
be driven by business decision,
we exist to make money for the business, I tell them
and not the other way round,
so lets save on costs, make more money
and do everything in our control
to make things happy and dandy honey!

For layoff season is here, a monthly chore in my place,
a few hundred here a few hundred there, life's but a race,
i wouldn't want to fall into that trap for them my options are slim
it would be very hard at that point to hope for a win.
So then let's focus on what we got, try to bullshit the stronest hand,
their stones can envision, and let them play!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.