Hydroponics has begun, finally!

Earlier today I finally setup my hydroponics kit, four months after buying it on Prime day from Amazon. The reason it was setup was that I wanted to make sure some of my weaker pothos plants bulked up and got ready for the summer, but they didn't look like they were ready, so wanted to provide extra nutrition and sunlight to them so it's going to be a wild and fruitful summer. It turns out setting this thing is stupidly easy. Put some water, plant food according to the instructions (and the instructions are just as simple, they even tell you to use the container lid as a measuring equipment!) connect it to the lights, and turn on. That's it! I dropped all of my new pothos cuttings into the machine because they need to be ready for a new season, but it's going to be all sorts of veggies and flowers and herbs from hereon! My tomato seeds are waiting to be germinated, just need to validate the technology on the plant cuttings.

For most of the day I put the machine on the kitchen counter where I could see it from the living room, it wasn't too bothersome but come the evening it was going to be a distraction and a cause for sore eye so I hid it on the other side of the kitchen. The problem was it was far too bright still, so I covered it with some aluminum foil, that will reflect the lost light back to the plants and also save my apartment's ambiance and my eyes.

And so after this, only one 'large' project remains that I haven't even started touching out of those I have acquired equipment and raw materials for, and that's my mushrooming project. I'd been intimidated due to the power and fertilizer requirements but they turned out to be small potatoes in the big scheme of things. If I can use the same mindset and ethics to get mushrooms working, it'll be a homerun. I mean, I must try  setting it all up, why not right, not like I will have a lot to lose anyway? All the raw ingredients will go bad if they're not used soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.