The first political activism event well quite well

Earlier today I went to a public hearing at the City hall, it was open for public comment on a matter of great importance to me, relating to new construction happening in the city, and I felt if I could make a change anywhere, this might be it, so I gave my voice to the cause. I wasn't on my own, it was a part of a political activism group and they had given us a good context on what might happen and how we might approach the issue.

I originally prepared a message in my notes, but after the guy in front of me, the leader of our chapter, gave an impromptu message, I was inspired to do so as well, and I talked about the importance of walking around town. Some people were amused and laughed a little bit, but that was my angle and I think I made my point. I loved the experience, got a little buzz out of it and might keep doing it. Who knows how effective such comments are, but this isn't for the town, this is for me, to get practice for my political career.

I didn't stay for the whole event because it was too overwhelming, even though I know it's the best to stay around for the most boring part of a public hearing of such kind, that's where most of the events and decisions can be influenced. But another time will come, and I'll be more prepared and driven for it...

Oh there were a couple of kids from middle school there too who came in to provide comment on some trash stuff near their school.

It was quite a momentous experience for my civic contribution, and I hope to do more on similar grounds. I felt proud of having contributed to the civic discussion, and hopefully influenced the scale of political decision-making, as small of a contribution it might have made. Just hope this is a start of a political career that I can portably to Nepal or wherever I end up next, so I can become politically engaged and eventually run for elections and as such.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.