SBK's farewell: End of an era

These are sad times indeed.

SBK, who connected our large group of thirty-plus people is leaving town for good to go back home. Forever.

But this has also brought into focus how everybody's moving on with their lives and away from the city. ND is going to her new job, PK will likely end up going home for a bit, Brookline folks have a big move planned ahead, SS (the teacher) is most certainly moving a few hours away. SS (the heartthrob) doesn't live in Boston anymore and doesn't intend to stay around in the general region of the country in foreseeable future. The ONE new friend I'd finally managed to make in all these years, and she too is gone soon. What has this come to.

So this means I'll have to figure out my station in life. Find new groups of people to talk to and socialize, new hobbies, new conversations. New relationships and bonds. What if they're not looking to make new friends or introduce new people in their lives, like I've been doing for some time now. What if I don't find these people and I just shrivel away lonely and sad, and lacking in human contact.

But enough about the future.

More importantly, we will never have a get-together like we did yesterday, the seventeen of us, because SBK was what bound us together. We'll never see SC and SS in the same room, the other daais we'll never have an opportunity to interact with again.

It feels like a very good tv show that's lasted for three or maybe four seasons is ending, and yesterday was the heartcrushing finale, a clip-show and the farewell for all the characters. Like in Friends, where all the characters are talking about where they're going to next and planning reunions for the years ahead.

The thing about tv shows is that when one ends, the other begins. And this is an opportunity for new growth and new opportunities. Some people were already not very connected with the party last night because this wasn't their show, they were side characters introduced far too late in the story, and their shows are just starting. And it's the same for me. 

The sad thing about last night, the big mistake I made was that I smoked a bit towards the end which made me paranoid and want to leave home early, I couldn't fully comprehend the finality, the full range of emotions that were going on. We left at half past twelve, some folks were apparently talking until 3 in the morning. But it's fine. A clean break opens up possibilities for a clean start.

This is not the end, it's the change of chapters. I'm way way out of my comfort zone at this point, and hereon it's just winging it. People say that's always true for life but upto right now everything was organized and planned, there was a strong safety net but also fear for not reaching high for you might lose the things you might have. Those shackles and constraints aren't there anymore. Wild things abound. The new chapter will be more interesting, I have not a clue how things will turn out.

Stay tuned to find out what happens next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.