Doggie trip

Friend SK got a dog, we drove 8 hours to get her, all the way to Eastern Washington from Seattle. She was an eight-week labradoodle, and what a ball of anxiety she was! She couldn't take loud noises or serious shakes in the car, she hid between my hands and legs. I discovered that young animals need a lot of love and caring if you want to have them grow up to be well-adjusted and socialized beings, even if they're not humans.

We drove by the banks of lake Chelan to get her, it's been seventeen days now. She hadn't even gotten her shots yet, which meant she couldn't go out on doggy dates. SK spent conservatively a thousand dollars on equipment and food for her on the first week of bringing her home. She loves it in his place though, chills out and the anxiety has gotten a lot better. When I left town she hadn't been named yet, gonna know what she'll be called when I'm back in two weeks. I hope she remembers how well we connected on our ride back from her original place!

Friend SK didn't sleep on his bed the first week of bringing her home, he figured she might be lonely all by herself in the living room, so he setup his bedding on the couch in living room and just slept. The second week on, she figured a way to sneak open the door and jump into his bed, so now she wakes him up every morning. Which is exactly like getting a child.

The incredibly lucky/awesome thing for SK was the fact that he didn't have to worry about doing the difficult trainings with the doggo. She knew to not pee inside, and always yelped when she needed to relieve herself, and figured on the first day that the turf he'd put outside on his balcony was meant to be a temporary replacement for her bathroom, until they figured out better situation.

Until she gets fully shot, Sk will be carrying her around on the walks, which is no mean feat because she must be at least 20 lbs. He's going to get quite jacked for sure.

I have asked to borrow her for various occasions during which I might need a little cute puppy on me, and we've agreed on that, as long as I volunteer to help look after her when he's not around, or has to do chores. Which works perfectly for me.

Good times!

For more details on the trip, look up the journal post or the first/second day for this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.