Test your curries and stews with your carbs as well

I cooked this massive complex stew the other day, so may spices etcetera, and thought it was wayy to salty and sour, that I'd gone overboard with the mixtures. It seemed a little too sharp, so I ate it with a lot of rice and guess what? Not enough salt or sour!

Which is why when cooking your curries and stews, taste them with the carb you're eating them with, so..rice or bread or potato or quinoa (in my case) or whatever. Because the ratios are going to be different, and you'll be thrown off.

It's also a lesson about life and art in general. When creating something, remember how it'll look in the context of its surroundings where it will be presented with. If you don't, your experience with it with be remarkably different from the end consumers, and you might never end up noticing what went wrong. The salt was all fine, you say, I have no clue what they're talking about, and they'll think you just like too much salt. You are both objectively correct, even accounting for taste and measurement, but the fact that the means of consumption was so different fucks up all the calculations. Nothing can change that, alas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.