On the difficulty of maintaining an interesting yet open blog

This is an interesting, wholly unexpected problem to have, one I could not have imagined when I started journaling two years ago, most definitely not when I started the blog many years ago.

It has come to a point where it is difficult to be frank about going on's in one's life out in the open, so it's a choice between writing a misleading and extremely limited version of reality that undermines the existence of a blog/journal to begin with, or putting down the finer details of everyday happenstances but at the cost of antagonizing near and dear ones and have them be unwilling to hang out and live their interesting lives.

An option I've considered and seriously evaluated is to change the name of the blog, and delist the thing from the search engines, going pretty much anonymous, once again. That way I can write with an open heart without privacy concerns on any side. The downside to that is there's no more of the validation I've been receiving, and the transparency and openness I've been trying to cultivate in this blog and myself through this. It'll be another secret diary of yet another random, which is honestly alright but there's so many other cooler interesting things happening and the hassle of having to maintain multiple blogs just to not share the juicy stuff is annoying as f.

So understand if/when posts from Seattle are not updated often, sound strangely truncated or confusing, and extremely vague. They're intentional. I want to expose just enough information that I remember what was happening in my life decades from now, but not so much that you can figure out what's up with what with great ease.

A writer's job should be to communicate clearly, the transfer of thoughts from one mind to the other without friction is the ultimate form of communicating. In this particular case, that is not the purpose, it's historical recordkeeping and journaling whatever. Sometimes I ask myself, what the hell am I doing, there's nothing worth recording or remembering in my life why waste so much time this is hell, it's misery, how why when...what an awful idea this has been. And then I think about how everybody else lives and I'm like, hmm you know what I have it pretty good, there's a lot of things happening in my life worth sharing.

Seattle is going to be full of happenings and projects and updates, don't worry it'll be whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.