An idea to gain credibility in career by faking it till one makes it

Here's the idea people.

First, I create a solid public website. It's not too hard, there are about a bazillion of them templates on github, use one of the top five or so. Make minimal changes if that's on the cards, but really it's not important. Need to take photos to make it look fancy, but even that is not too necessary, the goal is to have a good presence. A cool UI that makes me look like a modern thinker and innovator first of all.

Second, one needs to seed it with content. I'm thinking thirty posts of a thousand words each. They need to be properly edited and vetted of course, and photos to go along, but that's not the hard part. The wordcount and editing is, if I write this during work hours, post it on my work blog as well as on my personal website that should be cool beans. Now we have an potential employee that's posted tens of thousands of words, over the course of months and years (I'll backdate the posts to go back to early 2023, why not, I'll claim i do posts fortnightly).

Then, my resume, right on the public website. Make it easily scrollable, searchable, yadda yadda, so that potential employees and partners can see what I've been up to.

Fourth, my 'logbook' of events and hobbies, so there's a more personal connection. Again the goal is to turn this to look more involved than it really is, so folks can be impressed by all the work I've done.

Five, 'steal this idea' portfolio, also goes on my personal website. Write a few hundred words on each idea with links to if somebody else has approached similar ideas and where I am with them.

Then, my Innovation consulting portfolio. It's not clear yet if I want to put it on my personal website, or on a separate website, but I complete that work and put it out there.

Finally, a 'startup website' that I'll update every so often, and make sure it's archived, so it looks like the company is making progress. Who knows how much effort that'll take, but this should engage me for a while.

And then finally spend a hundred bucks or so on creating 'merch for the fake company, so I can wear it during interviews and so forth. To show off and tell people about the failed startup idea.

It's not a lie if you truly believe in it. - George Costanza.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.