Started bottling the second water of chhyang and other project updates

Haven't done a project update in a long while, so here we go.

The rice wine that we had before I left for Virginia, I had watered it and left for second water. The second water it turns out...is alcoholic, but nowhere as sweet or flavorful. I added a bunch of sugar to the bottles after bottling and they're drinkable, but it's clearly not as good as the first water. But I know now. Also the remainder of the rice was so little, it's clearly at the end of its life. One could push somehow for third water, but that would be a terrible weakass drink not worth anybody's time. Still, as I bottle the rest of the gallons in the coming weeks, maybe I'll consider that...

Speaking of which, started two experiments at the end of the chyang harvest. First, there appeared to be lees on the bottom of the jar, I'm using those to try to start my colony of yeast to ferment future batches of rice wine. It's unclear how that'll work, but I put it in a bottle with a couple spoonfuls of sugar, we'll see how that goes.

The other experiment involves the leftover rice, which I added into a new bottle with new water and couple of tablespoons of salt, plus kinema. That's how the viet sauce Tu'ong is made. I am hoping to see how far I can get with that fermentation. The strong brine will likely prevent anything bad from happening to the bottle, I can keep adding more leftover rice in the future.

Haven't started fermenting kefir(s) or kombucha yet because the weather is still quite cold. Might do yogurt from a store-bought batch soon though. Around mid-Feb the projects will probably pick up pace.

I wrote about this earlier, but I'm actively using my old kombucha, the vingaried one, as actual vinegar for cooking, and it's...fine? It's got its own flavor, if one knows what they're doing its a such a powerful tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.