Book review: The Book of Spice, From Anise to Zedoary Book by John O'Connell

The book was consumed in audiobook form. It took a few days to finish because lots of stuff was happening. It is quite an interesting overview on the most popular spices, the ones most used across the world, including their histories, how they were discovered, the mythologies associated with them and the claims of their positive effects and how much of that might be true, historical and cultural counterparts, and why some spices thrive but others don't.

A fantastic overview for somebody new to the world of spices, such as myself to get a good foundational knowledge on what spices are, what sort of usage they find across various cultures, how they are used, how they came to be the way they are, and how people make-do with their alternatives. It had a few recipes, but that's not what I was looking for anyway.

Nine out of ten stars, perhaps I'm being too generous of late, but there's not a single thing to be complained about, and it made me understand so much about the world of spices. I feel good after having heart it, smart and knowledgeable, and just that puts it on the top notch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.