The best way to be happy is to 'touch grass', it turns out, and go offline, often

Being terminally online, it turns out, is a disease, one I am afflicted with. The reasons are many. My hunger for knowledge and information, and need to keep learning, one might even say an addiction to information has given me a poor hand. For in the pre-internet days I used to read and write a lot, as of late, I've been going online so much, though some weeks and months are better than others. 

Why is being terminally online a problem? Because it stresses one out, makes one feel crap about oneself for various reasons. The thing is, the body needs sensory input, and when it is lacking in walks, sights and smells and in social interactions, it desires through online device that makes extra information acquisition costs free, practically. A problem for somebody with an addiction to information, because at that rate, one might not leave the apartment ever, because what's the point?

But that's what addiction is, it's a problem.  Not interacting with real life, real people, and the real world is a big problem that must be solved. And it can only be solved by one clean method: to find alternative activities to going online. It can be walking, it can be hanging out with friends, it can be making food, anything but literally going online hunting for information to satiate your thirst for some morsel of bits and bites.

Thus, the best way to be happy is to go offline, to touch grass, interact with people, connect with one's community. Do I want to be happy, or do I want to be attached to world? My choice. I know the answer. I just need to act on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.