I've become a small semi-amateur in spice history and hindu mythology, can understand recurring themes and stories

This is positive growth in reading and understanding of some very specific niches of history. For the past two months I've been reading on the history of food and spices, and hindu mythology. And I can call myself an 'advanced beginner' student of both fields because I can see the progress in my studies!

For example, I've been able to recall stories and references across different books, identify what the original text was and what other sources might be cited if a topic comes up. For example, the tales Arab trader wove in the first century AD to Greeks to explain where spices came from are so ridiculous they're noted by several Greek writers. That reference comes up quite so often in books of culinary history, and I've got used to them. Pompeii too comes often, and I know exactly what their primary source is, and how it came about to be. I have also read many references to works by patrick mcGovern, whose primary sources I have read too. It's exciting because I know exactly what point the authors are making, including what their references say!

Same thing with Hindu mythology. Even a passing reference to some event or myth in a text is identifiable: I can often pin at least one version of it to an original text, I know what the difference in content between Vedas, Puranas, Brahmanas and the Upanishads. More particularly, there is only so much material on Shiva, and a large portion of it is compiled in Shiva Purana, those references have been categorized and given a timeline, so referencing such a diagram has made me put everything in context. Yeah the stories are presented differently in different texts, but the gist I understand. It gives such a great sense of knowledge and context, I'm loving this.

To be continued, I am a born academic for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.