Interesting findings about Indra Jatra and newari groups and various hypotheses

I was reading through the available pages on preview at Google Books for this book: https://sunypress.edu/Books/T/The-Festival-of-Indra, and I learned so many facts about newars and Nepali culture from it!

The author argues that Indra Jatra as celebrated by the newari people in Kathmandu valley was revived by the Shah kings to reassert Newari hindu identity in the newfound state versus the stronger Buddhist identity that was prevalent at the time. I have my doubts and questions about that, but since I don't have the book (ordered it through interlibrary loan, hopefully I'll have it in a few weeks), I don't know what exactly is the material.

He also claims the oft-told story about Pritvi Narayan Shah conquering the state of Kantipur during Indra Jatra is a fabricated myth to reinforce the importance of the Vedic festival and Hindu identity, and observes that of the many foreign diplomats and missionaries stationed in valley at the time who recorded the conquest, non mentioned the timing to be the biggest festival of the year.

Among many other things. Again, I read only a limited preview, I'm waiting for the full book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.