Good old rice and dal to the rescue

On Friday I made some rice and dal, the dal took forever due to me not using the pressure cooker. I had a pretty massive snack while cooking. Figured I wouldn't be hungry anymore. But in the end, ended  up having a pretty large serving of rice-quinoa and dal, with achar. Rice & dal is the simplest. Nutritious, quick to make, filling, not the worst for one's health. Not for every meal, every goddamn day, for sure. But perfect for every so often.

It's easy to overdo rice, and on this occasion I did it. Went too far with the rice. Not in a good way either. Urad dal is different from others, I should have known but ah well. My dad gave me the trick to making perfect pureed dal. Pressure cook for 5 whistles, let some pressure out, shake the hell out of the cooker, put back on the heat for couple of more whistles. Don't know if I prefer dal as a puree, but good to know!

The rice doesn't need to be of rice grains either, oats or other grains can do similarly well, all one needs to do is find a supplier that doesn't charge an insane amount of money for 10lbs, willing to buy up to 20lbs as well, but the price and shipping needs to be reasonable. Why won't anybody sell me good grains for a reasonable price, I'm willing to buy in bulk, ugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.