What if I wrote on the same topic using different formats?

This is an idea for project 110, formerly project 240, the number so reduced because I kept writing and writing. And write so much I did, that the number has gone down to 21. Which means in 21 posts, I'll have 'back-written' the last year's post-count to be 1337, which is 1 more than 2022 numbers, and for certain kinds of nerds the perfect number because it spells 'elite' in old calculator-speak.

The idea doesn't need to be implemented just for the project though. It would be useful in my everyday writing to inspire me, help me come up with easy topics, and to force me to be creative: if I'm writing multiple posts from different angles on the same topic, I will have to think about it more than I would otherwise.

The actual idea is this: I come up with a topic, whatever it may be. The following post after this is a review for Wings the board game so lets take an example of that. Normally I find a topic, write it in the 'standard' boring disgustingly-written form, and move on. And when I need to practice other interesting formats, like poetry or numbered lists, I come up with really strained topics to write on. Now what if I wrote on the same topic, using all these different formats, you know? A poem, a numbered list, and a recipe, all for the "Wings" review, in this example. Tackle the same problem using a wide variety of tools!

The reality is, that's what has been done for like the last 10 posts for the project, so what I'm proposing here has already been happening. That has made me realize a few points. Even if I'm writing on the same topic, the different formats force me to tackle different aspects of the concept, and thus I must 'forward' the 'story' in the work, even if I don't mean to. To go back to the example of a board-game review, if I wrote a poem, and then a FAQ on it, the poem would probably be about how fun it is, or a narration of what happened during a specific game, while the FAQ might be about the questions I'm curious about, or maybe even an indirect narration about how a certain gameplay went just so wrong. My stretching the limits of each format, and my imagination, I'll be forcing myself to think, iterate, innovate.

None of it can do much harm, can it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.