Book Review: The Hindus an Alternative History

I freaking finally finished it people! The 34-hour journey, a tour-de-force as the french say, is over. What a journey it was!

I must have reviewed the book before, as this was not my first rodeo with the book, but this was definitely the first end-to-end, cover-to-cover journey. Exhaustively listening to and absorbing the book was...exhausting, but so informational, like I have a good framework to understand other hindu writings and context for understanding every thing else that happened in the sub continent over the last 4000 years.

Things I didn't enjoy as much: the last 10% of the books is not as well-written as the firs 90%, but it's a minor issue, it's still loads better than anything else readable in the market on the issue. The author is a moral relativist on certain issues and I feel she's letting the goons get away too easily, there are some practices and traditions that are morally reprehensible in absolutes, and forcing people to die prematurely with no fault of their own, or creating circumstances where people are forced to do so is not humane or good in any moral philosophical system.

9.5/10 stars, it's so clear I'll listen to it or read it again, the next goal is to read On Hinduism end-to-end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.