I've made a huge mistake

 Prompt: I've made a huge mistake. Part of the writing exercise done with SK this evening.

I’m an idiot, a blathering fool, shouldn’t have gone with the hippy with the pierced nose. She was kinda’ cute, with her flowy trousers and the trippy shirt, she smelled like pot, as if she hadn’t showered in years. It was hot. So fucking hot. And I figure, you know, if she’s into freeing everything, maybe this is uhh, my chance. Maybe I’d get lucky, it’d suck probably with the smell but she could know tricks right? My friends say hippies are wild, they’ve done everything. My friend Ghazi, he’s such an idiot a fucking stoner, he says yaaa maan you’ve got to go with a hippy to a second location, they’ve been everywhere and done everything, everyyyythingggg man, I betcha she could teach you a thing or too. I ask him if he’s going to accompany me. Naah maan, he says, got a test tomorrow besides this is your adventure bruh, your time to explore the world and uhh appreciate the fine women. We’re behind you our compadre! And just like that they abandon me in a vast crowd of strangers gyrating to music I want to puke to all the colors swirling about. Yuck. What have I done.

Two hours later, she’s nowhere to be found. We’re at our third location. I start talking to a couple of guys, my kinda people I figure they’re my kinda people...they don’t smell as bad as everyone else and they’ve got a chiller vibe. Turns out they’re dealers. One of them dudes has a pet goddamn snake and he can’t find frogs to feed them, my babies he says my babies are going hungry and the petstore motherfuckers won’t sell me pets to feed they won’t even entertain me in there anymore. I can’t feed them raw insects and grains and all the corporate commercial bullshit all this time! They need organic shit like they’d eat in nature, this is a travesty. He stars crying, on my shoulders. I pat him, sorta consoling him what do you even tell a guy that wants to destroy all the small mammals and reptiles in the world so his pet snake has a tasty-allround non corporate whatever the shit that means diet. Definitely not my people.

What a terrible mistake it’s been.

Two girls, short, stay awkwardly by the door staring at their drink glasses. Outsiders perhaps just like myself. I clear my throat, introduce myself to them. One of them stares straight through me. You have that aura, she says, you’re one of the people, the the kind with wings, wings what are they called again jeannie, the people with white wings the good people kinda. Angels, the other girls says, they can’t be twins but they’re acting like the creepy twins from that Stephen King movie, you think he looks like an angel. “Yeah an angel”, she says dreamily. The second girl says, I don’t know about angel, but you’re hot, you’re cute, haven’t seen you around, what are you about? “Not much,” I say, “I’m a friend of uhhh,” fuck I forgot the girl’s name, it was bizzarre and yet I don’t remember, “I’m someone’s guest here, you probably don’t know her anyway,” I say. “SO she’s your girlfriend or what? You married?” she asks. Naah, naah, met her earlier in the night, I say. “Ohhh you’re open then”, the second one says. Her eagerness is not...sexy...as I would have thought it would be. It’s a little unsettling. “Not...really, actually...I have a girlfriend...somewhere...else, she’s..she’s...not here...are...are you single?” I stammer. Why am I afraid of a girl half my weight and half a foot shorter than I am?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.