Suspicions, and new friends

Prompt: Write a story about three people who are on a road trip together, only to stop off at a gas station and pick up a fourth person whom they don't know. Why did they pick this person up? Where are they taking him/her? What happens?

 I didn't want to include our 'guest' in the trip. They insisted. I sat in the front of the car since it wasn't my idea.

Harish gave him the lift because the man claimed to know his parents, or grandparents, or someone, I didn't remember, didn't care. The man seemed a little dirty but he couldn't have been carrying any serious weapon in that small bag of his, and the rest of us  could overpower him. Harish's bbj classes would finally come of some use.

Our guest, whose name was Siddhant, he said so anyway, didn't seem like the threatening personality once we started talking to him. He seemed to know everyone. You, I feel like I know you he said, peering at me, as I turned back my head. You...are you...Roshil Thapa's...someone, Roshil thapa, he's a doctor at TU is it, or does he still work there, hmm I wonder, you look like you could be related to Roshil, he said. That was my mamaa, Roshil mama. This man had got me straight. Yeah, yeah I'm related to him, in a faraway way I said to him, how do you know him?

Oh we studied together, way way back, in the younger days, I have good memory and once you see people's faces it's hard to forget. A wild guess and I got lucky. You know it's a small world out here, and besides kathmandu is such a small place everyone knows everyone knows everyone.

Ohhh yeah, kathmandu is a small place, I said, do you want to talk to Roshil mama, I haven't called him in a while, it'll be nice to talk to him, and tell him we're with his college friend.

No no, it's good it's good, it's been a long while, he said, besides we don't have much to talk about. Maybe another day, when things are better and we're caught up.

I knew what was up. This man was no threat.

I didn't want to continue, but Harish said he was a guest and we'd made a big effort in picking him up. He claims to know about our families and I still don't talk to him, can we trust this to be safe, I asked. It'll be fine man, our driver man said, since the start of our adventure, you've been afraid of people we hang out with. Look how well we've done until this point.

I agreed.

We took him to our next motel, got him a dinner, and handed him some money to call a taxi and take the bus home. Rahul asked him if he drank, he did, so we invited him to our suite.

The food did its work in a matter of minutes. He was out, we quickly took out the ice, Harish extracted the important organs, sutured him up. He applied an extra dose of anesthesia and a medicine to cause amnesia, so he wouldn't remember anything, in case he identified us. We drove back to where we found him, and moved on.

This was $70000 bucks worth of haul just from one person. I shouldn't have been so cynical.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.