When the New York slice is not a new york slice anymore aka why I'm pissed

 Went to NYC on friday, I was really excited about the cheap cheesey 'new york slice' pizza, the large piece with a lake of gloopy cheese floating on top of a thin-ish blistered base. Tasty light base, and yummy cheese, with a great addition from the sour pizza sauce I thought.

Got a couple of slices from the 99cent pizza which was the closest joint I could find from us. Perhaps the chain is owned by people from Italian origin, or perhaps new yorkers, or anyone with the traditional background I do not know. I saw it be manned by three south asians much like myself. Food is globalised now it shouldn't matter who makes them, doing cultural stereotype by the food people make is reductive.

The pizza I got there was one of the most disappointing ever, those several slices. The only good part about the experience was the several sauces and addons including salt and garlic powder they had. Though if they think you'll need to add salt to your pizza you should start considering it to be not very good. The base tasted like cardboard, the cheese didn't feel like anything and the toppings were soggy mess. The pizza was not made with passion, not even made with an intention to bring people over and sell a good food at decent prices. It was clearly an attempt to capitalize on nyc's relationship with the food item and sell the most bland but profitable item at no consideration for taste or quality.

The pizza that I get at 7-11 is better than it honestly, even accounting for the fact that it's usually 33% more expensive. Though 7-11 regularly has offers out. Their crusts are tastier, cheese is meltier, there's more soul to the food.

Dominos pizza is several league ahead of the 99-cent pizza, though in terms of 'price per slice', it's not too far off.

What a complete and total fiasco it was. I forced it down my gullet with a generous helping of potatoes on top, the fries from five guys. My love for potatoes, and the franchise that is five guys was the only thing that got my throat to open up for the monstrosity of 'pizza'.

Never again.

It wasn't about the price, it was about getting a traditional authentic new yorker experience. I'm been jilted, so disappointed. The naked capitalism, unconstrained and uncaring of the values and passion people put on cultural symbols will destroy the food and fashion capital's name.

I will give this one more chance, the next time I go, from a different outlet. Then I'm calling it. I can only take so much disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.