Boxed in to hell

 The department store elevator shuts down on the way to the fourth floor, with you and ten other people in it. You remain calm, but other people begin to panic. Write this scene and the dialogue between characters.

Prompt

It's going to be fine, they're going to send the repair people soon, there's no need to panic, I say.

Oh dear, I left the chicken out in the open to thaw. Wonder how long that's gonna be before the elevator people come in. That chicken's gonna go bad, it was a good purchase.

Stop stop about your chicken okay, my child is trapped there my goddamn son of three freaking years is with his babysitter in the apartment, what's he gonna say when I don't show up ya' crazy your chicken is not freakin' more important than my child, it's my fuckin' child I'm talkin' about so can you just...just...shut up.

Ma'am could you please...with the languge? My triplets, they're just four they're learning new words, don't want them learning that sort of nonsense. Okay boys, that's what big people talk like, some big people who are mad and you're not supposed to say those words okay, because that's something dirty people say, good people don't talk like that okay dears?

Is that woman a dirty person?

I heard that, I heard that! No, no listen your mother and I and you and your brothers are all trapped in this...hell...elevator so I'm a bit stressed out okay so a bit like if you got a timeout but you didn't do anything wrong, and you want to go to meet your friends, except the people you're meeting are not even friends, they're...they're...people you created, children, just like you and mommy, would you mommy not be freakin' out if she was far away from you? That's why...I'm about to cry, because mommy would too, any good parent would...to stay away from kids, possibly ne'er see 'em...sob sob...

I believe we're going to be saved very soon ma'am there's no reason for concern. You heard the building supervisor talk on the phone, the fire depart's on the way. They'll get us out one way or other, in one piece safe and sound. We'll be great. Your child will be safe. It's not time to be anxious.

Easy for you to say you don't have a goddamn piece of meat that you spent fourty bucks on because your friend convinced you it was made with gold or somethin', thought that was gonna' be the best goddamn meal of my whole life now if I can't make it...I'm gonna be real pissed if something happens to me...or welll...the chicken.

You folks have no reason to worry, we've been through this several times back in the day. It was a monthly happening practically. That's how the two of us met actually for the first time. I was back from the war, just...and she was...what were you doin' in that building again...were you the teller...or...or was it the time you were the secretary for the legal firm again? Anyway we got stuck and got to talking to each other. I asked for her number when we got out and what would you know she had a piece of paper with her name and number ready to hand. We got talkin' and talked and talked and now we're still talkin' all the time, six...sixty odd years later...Hehehe.

Ohh dear it's mostly you doing the talking now hehehe. It was the time I was working as a paralegal I think....for the lawyer, what was his name again...he was in the supreme court for sometime before he...he later went to florida I think, got into trouble with the authorities there did he now....that day though, it was magical, and six hours we were stuck in it too, the most memorable six hours of my life, I'll forget everything about this life but not the six magical hours, hold my hand tight now dear...

Hooo boy six hours ehhh, that meat's gonna be toast, the maggots will have had their way with it, not even a bone they'll leave. He said it tasted like strawberry, some strawberry it'll be that rotting piece of flesh now.

We shouldn't worry folks it'll likely not be six hours at all, the fire department's already in the building now probably, a few minutes more, it'll be like we were stuck in a traffic jam on our way back.

I hope that girl doesn't leave my baby alone, she's irresponsible, she'll probably put her to sleep and have sex with her boyfriend or something, or leave thinking I'd never no, I do hope she doesn't go anywhere, I do trust her, just...that you can't trust teenagers to be responsible, it should be fine, I hope.

Teenagers these days are more responsible than we were ourselves back in the day! My boys have had no problem with them at all until now, have you now? They barely drink, or go outside, they're just stuck to the tv and their phones, you shouldn't worry at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.