It's not about not falling down; it's about jumping right back in and fighting

 This is a simple one as realizations go, something important but not earth-shattering or mind-bending.

When you're trying to succeed in something, or doing something generally, it's a journey. Even if you're at the helm of your field, there is no bigger expert in it than you are, you are not the complete and total god and arbitrator of truth and reality, for existence is dynamic, things change, circumstances vary. It's always a journey to learn more, explore, adapt, learn and react. The journey is never complete, the journey of learning and understanding, and you're never at the height. You just have to keep moving.

And when you've been going for a while, you begin getting a bit too overconfident. There is no falling down now, no stumbling, you imagine, I'm better than this, I'm prepared for the worst. The universe will beg to differ, as it likes to do in these circumstances, and you'll fall. What do you do?

It's not about not falling down. That you will fall down and have to pick yourself up is a fact of life, an existential reality. You may try to avoid it with all sort of automation, you could reduce the harm by surrounding yourself with harnesses all that you desire, but you'll fall down. It's going to suck. The only option then is to pick up and keep moving. A stumble is not a fall, it's not defeat, it's merely a minor pause, a nuisance in your journey. You jump right back, pat yourself down rest a bit if the needs be and keep moving, keep going, keep fighting. Keep on and on and on. Never, ever ever ever surrender, as the mediocre peacetime but a good wartime British PM once said.

Bring this up because on the weekends I feel like I disappoint myself. All my habits go down the drain, the flow is disrupted. Sleep cycle gets so wonky. Doesn't have to wait for the weekends even. Yesterday a tuesday I slept like a madman, ignored most of my todo lists. Even today after 48 hours I'm barely recovering.

Had it been any other time, any other day it'd have been gloom doom and the downward spiral of hopelessness and abandon. It's the weather, it's so cold it disrupts your plans. And constantly beats down on your spirit.

Not this time though, I picked up, stopped getting distracted, jumped right back into the wagon. The daily checklists continue, meditation is being done, still writing regularly, the pushups are going, I'm still cooking and the projects are back on track. It wasn't a fall it wasn't even a hitch. Just a minor pebble that I stumbled on for a day. Maybe not even that. I just slept for hours I shouldn't have because I was talking, or was it hoping to talk question-mark three times, late late at night. Alas.

I should write more about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.