On Bacon/fat

I used to love bacon, absolutely adore it, it was one of the favourite things ever for me. Bacon fat was lovely too, I never let it go to waste, would always reuse it in one form or another, I was like Dwite Shrute from the office, one of those weirdos who'd punish others for throwing or wasting the lard away. Alas times have changed.

Bacon is awesome but I stopped eating it regularly a few years before I quit meat generally. It was too great, I couldn't stop eating, and I was known to have turned a BLT into mostly a BBB sandwich. It got too heavy, too salty, too tasty after a while, the brain started rejecting it, the mouth dried up at the expectation of that crackly salty fatty yummy piece of meat. Too much of anything is poison and I'd turned, unknowing, one of my favourite things into poison. I didn't stop eating it absolutely, I'd eat it here and there, bits and bobs sometimes, or when I had no other option, but my complete affair with Bacon was over early on.

After I quit meat I still maintained conjugal relations with the lard aka bacon fat so to speak. When my roommates made bacon for brunch I prohibited them to throw away the fat, using it instead for collard greens or eggs or vegetables. You can never have too much lard, I said, there are so many ways to put it to proper use, and throwing good bacon fat is like...throwing away your spices or oil just because they came with something else.

Then there was the day. Two months ago I think it was. So much lard we had at our house, I decided to fry eggs as well as veggies in it for my burrito. And so I did. Didn't realize fully the impact the inch-deep lard would have on my food. It tasted extremely like drinking raw oil and the structure of my burrito was completely undermined by the juices. It couldn't be held. It was dripping from my lips, from my hands, from all over. And to be quite honest, it wasn't that good. It was alright, not worth all the hype everybody goes through. So that day was when I declared my abandonment of all things lard. No more for me, not even in veggies, not even to saute or warm. If the flavor's in my meal, I'm out. 

It's not a complete and total boycott yet but I'm not going to be looking out for lard to cook my vegetables in. I'm deeply deeply suspicious of the food culture that has grown around it, and the level of technical competence that has risen around it. Good meateries are good, the experts get to godly-levels. It's unclear if the German version of this is any more dangerous and judgmental than any other.

Is the solution lamport's causal clocks?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.