Why are the beer places in Seattle all so bad

 In Seattle, P.K took me to two places, they both looked like decent bar/restaurants, and neither had sours, no even in cans. The bar AS took me to -- there's a review incoming of the place -- not only had they a very limited menu, the bartender glared at me for asking for sours, and explained in a clearheaded manner as if he was talking to a total idiot that a 'sour' means a whiskey related drink and it's made in one of those stubby drink glasses, you cannot ask for a beer AND a 'sour', it's either/or. I felt like such a fool.

So here's the question: I'm no beer snob, I am very close to being a teetotaler, and sour beers are all the rage everywhere. Why did the people in those bars not know about them. Or any decent variety really, besides the eight most selling beers.

In terms of the second place, maybe I can understand. It's the sort of minorly 'upscale' dive bar where people go meet and dear god I hate using the term but here it goes 'pick up' other people. It's not in the business of selling quality beers, the business angle is selling the most popular drinks at the cheapest possible price while still maintaining a healthy profit. Maintaining an inventory of lesser-sold beers with questionable customer demand and unclear pricing strategy would not be a clearheaded approach for the owners unless they were really really passionate about beers.

On the other hand, I felt like the two other place I went to with P.K should really have at least maintained some more interesting beers. The cool bartenders at at least heard of the things I talked of, but offered that the establishment was catered to the more conventional crowd and not the tastemaking bunch, and they generally tried to judge customer demand, but with covid and what not, it was difficult.

Which is...fair enough. No comments there.

Final point here. As I was exploring for places where I could park myself on the town for short periods of time while everything else got figured out, I discovered that there were a few pretty decent breweries near where I might be located, and they have a wide variety of offerings, including the sours. It's looking like maybe Seattle beer scene's not really morbid as I imagined, just lacking compared to Boston's. Which sounds...about right, as boston has traditionally been the home of some of the largest beer companies/ independent breweries in the country. It's a tough competition to beat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.