Good restaurants in Nepal are in a global competition for quality, finally, and money may be the reason

I've complained so much about Nepal in recent posts and also brought up the silver lining of good tourism prospects. Want to bring up something related here.

The quality of fancy restaurants has grown considerably in recent years in Nepal. And so has their count. Because they are expensive not just by Nepali standards but in global standards, and their costs are still more or less in Nepali rupees, they have the resources to invest and innovate. So I have found that the nicer Nepali restaurants, those that are not even crazy expensive, are actually quite decent, not just by local standards but global ones too.

Which means one of the best pizzas I've recently had has been in Kathmandu, the place has decent Italian food, Mediterranean food wasn't particularly disappointing either. People there have told me you can't really compare foreign food in Kathmandu to that in the U.S and one is just setting oneself up for disappointment but let me go the other way and claim that for pricey enough places, there's no reason for them to not be able to compete or even better the foreign places even in the US (if not the award-winning restaurants), and I think it's fair game to compare them against US locations as they're actually in that league now. The cooks are foreign trained, experienced, they get feedback from people experienced in foreign foods, and quite often they've traveled wide and far themselves. And the same goes for the owners.

The future of the Nepali restauranting business is exciting, and I'm eager to see where it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.