I'm on an audiobook-listening rampage, and dear gods I hope this goes on forever!

Since listening the "A Brief History of Vice" book...two days ago...I've completed two more audiobooks..and that doesn't even include the James Acaster show that was also an audiobook that I finished...Soo I've gotten used to listening to podcasts over the past five/seven years, and have gotten used to listening to 'tv shows' (no quotes needed) in the same time period as well. Which means audio books should be the next step.

The reason I had not been listening to audiobooks all this time is: I was too intimidated. I thought books were serious things that needed lots of attention to be put, that one would need to remember what was consumed and not just sample things, that 'cheating' by jumping around was no fair. But turns out if I don't do that I don't get any reading or listening at all so I have had to lower the expectations of how much information I'm okay extracting and retaining from books. And audiobooks are the perfect medium. They're no different from long podcasts...No, they're exactly long podcasts if I listen one chapter at a time, and the distinction between long podcasts like hardcore history, and more casual history audiobooks is so little, it's not worth caring. So yeah I don't need to be intimidated by audio books anymore.

Anyway, so if I can consistently listen to audiobooks, like I have been doing until now, I'm up 4 books finished and halfway to fifth in five days this week...I'll easily reach and exceed my 'reading' expectation I had set, of like reading 30 minutes a day. I'm like listening to podcast and other stuff for several hours a day, and if I can get used to listening to books at 2x the speed like I do with audiobooks, a book-a-day is not just achievable, it can be done easily, even during workdays. What if...and tell me if this sounds like a crazypants idea...I listen to TWO books a day...that's sixty books a month! Man, just the book reviews would be a third of the posts on this blog, which would make it a book-review blog. I wouldn't mind that because it does need a direction of sorts besides my journaling and that'd be a cool direction to take. Right, the point is that listening to audiobooks on 2x speed is achievable, and it helps me concentrate on other things and I should do it more aggressively!

Exciting times are ahead, and I really really mean it, man

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.