I went to my first art class, and it was pretty great! All I need is more practice now!

I went to the art class yesterday Monday 1 in the afternoon. The instructor was a sweet Ukrainian lady who has been a lifelong artist, who took her first courses in the US after moving here in the same college and now she teaches there!

The class is on drawing from observation, and I drew two sketches, one of a sample flower from a slide, and another of tape dispenser she put in front of me. She's understanding and kind, and probably understands I'm like so very bad at drawing.

The 2.5 hours passed like it was nothing.

Things I learned: perspective. Don't draw things like you think they 'should' look, draw them the way they 'do' look, and you'll make them more realistic. Decomposition into primary shapes: don't try to draw a complex figure with no context, decompose it into simple shapes: circles, ovals, triangles, rectangles, and once you have your proportions right, start working on filling the details. The details too should be simple shapes, and once you are comfortable with the relative placement of all the shapes, work into filling the details. How to hold a pencil: the writing pose if you want to fill details, hold faraway if you want to take it loosy-goosy while drawing outlines. Making mistakes: all real artists start out by making basic outlines and refining on them, nobody makes a perfect replica by starting from the details. Sketch, erase, re-sketch etc until you feel like you've got it perfect.

Also found out that the 'charcoal' pencils I'd bought in the art shop were actually not of charcoal brand, they were actually properly made of charcoal which was a bit silly, as I didn't know there was such a thing as a charcoal pen.

I should be practicing a lot more, arts and craft are all about practice and guided repetition until one gets more comfortable and better.

Really excited about this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.