Vermi Compost hopes and dreams

This is a secret dream, a crazy fantasy which might never take hold, but I wonder...if doing vermi-composting in my apartment might be a good idea? Just read mother jones article on keeping worms in apartment and they say the buckets won't go smelly as long as you maintain a good carbon to nitrogen balance, which doesn't seem to be awful, just a bit of a hassle. I already have the sterlite containers, already got the potting mix to use as their bedding material. All I'd need is a bunch of live worms and I'll be ready to rock and roll.

Thing is, it seems like it'll be some work maintaining cleanliness and safety for the worms, definitely some work making sure I'm balancing the worm food from kitchen waste, and what happens if I am away from the apartment for several months? Which yes, unlikely, but still a possibility. And they're low-work pets, but definitely no-work pets. What's a no-work pet, a rock?

That's actually...Hmmm the way to look at it should be from the pet angle and not productivity and efficiency and eco angle. Do I want a low-commitment pet ecosystem or not, is maybe the question since I won't be making much soil for it to be useful. And the answer is probably no? I've already got a riches of hobbies as they are to occupy my time, and it's probably wise to hold off from picking something new that would occupy my mindspace. Something to consider for the future though, when and if I get a larger space.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.