Cooking isn't really as big of a deal, if you're down to the tacks

Last night I was given a short notice: I'd be hosting a dinner for a couple of people within an hour. Go! It was the worst possible time to discover that because trader joe's had shut down, and I didn't have any fresh veggies or fruits at home. So I rushed to the co-op, bought a canned tomato, couple of priceyy onions and an garlic, and bam, an hour-and-half later we had a scrumptuous meal! All this time I'd been resisting cooking for myself with the excuse that there was nothing good in the house, no ingredients, nothing worth cooking, and anything I cooked could end up being horrible. Egg. On. My. Face, things were incredible, actually?

So it turns out if you're stocked up on raw beans, lentils, and grains, cooking is just a matter of creating wild concoctions by mixing them together. It's not like our ancestors were eating fresh veggies in the middle of the winter either, they spent several months of the years eating preserved and dried goods, rehydrating and stewing for hours. I make a big deal out of cooking because of the laziness, and the resistance to cooking, not because it's a fundamentally difficult task. That's the take-home message.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.