Some more writing on habit forming and near and long-term goals etcetera

I listened to, and read summary of, the book Tiny Habits by...a Stanford behavioral design professor, and it's given me quite a lot of context on what's up with my lazy habits, how to form new habits, and how to reach one's long-term goals etcetera. Haven't finished the book, so this is not a review, but observations on my personal life inspired by the book.

The dude's got the whole thing right on: it's like he distilled a decade of me struggling to get my habits in order. The thing about behavior, he proposes, is MAP or motivation, ability, and prompt. You might have the motivation and the physical capacity to do something, but if something doesn't prompt you, doesn't trigger your behavior regularly, you'll find it much harder to do. And there are the ABC's of habit-forming: anchor, behavior, and celebration. Make sure the habits you want to encourage in your daily life are anchored to other events in your day that will trigger you to do it. Then actually complete the task. After it is done, celebrate, reward yourself a little bit. Even if it is as little as patting yourself on the back, smiling, or telling yourself that you did it and you're proud of yourself. These micro feedback sessions help create stronger habits, he argues. The important part of having such habits be consistent is to create a schedule (or anchor them to other parts or event of the day) and to make them small enough that not doing them would be ridiculous.

Sounds like a solid plan.The book itself is a pretty decent read, or a listen as it is in my case. Will comment more when it's complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.