On eating the first batch of buckwheat groats

So, first couple of rounds of eating buckwheat groats are done, the reviews are in.

First, an admission: I'd actually never eaten buckwheat groats before. My parents didn't even know buckwheat could be eaten in grain form, without turning into flour. So this was a new experience for me, culturally and personally. All I knew was people ate Kasha, from Seinfeld, and that it was supposed to be dorky food, and I'd heard of Kasha Varnashke. That's it.

The cooking process was simple. I followed the most obvious recipe on youtube. Slightly underwater the grains in the rice-cooker, then add a little bit of water and leave it on the warm setting for 45 minutes to an hour. That way the grains get hydrated but don't get mushy. The grains are perfectly whole and as fluffy as they could possibly be. Check.

The smell of the grains while they cooked was distinctly reminiscent of...tobacco. That's the only way I can describe it. Maybe some would say mud? I did make it a point to wash it several times, way more than I usually clean rice. I don't mind the smell personally, it was just unique, a novel smell that I will have to befriend and co-exist with.

The texture was fine, liked it better than brown rice. It cooks better too. The flavor was...hmm I'm having trouble describing it...It was...fine? I couldn't really describe it besides 'grassy' and 'grainy'. It is food, when mixed with other foods can taste good or bad. I wouldn't eat just the cooked groats, but it would be unusual to do so for any other grains, so nothing sus going on there. I had it with the greens and eggs, and no complaints on any point. My tummy didn't react improperly to the grain, have had no issues.

All systems are a go, I am ready to befriend buckwheat groats.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.