How the hell do I motivate myself to write in a planned, organized manner at work? What's stopping me?

Here's the problem we're trying to solve. I don't write consistently at work the way I do on this blog. Not that I write posts daily daily here either, but there's more or less consistency on writing here, and if I don't write I feel bad and make up for it or just write anyway in my kindle. To fix that I setup a todo for myself to write for 2 25 sessions daily. 25 minutes is not a lot of time to write, and two sessions are completely manageable, or so I thought. Except I barely write for one session, let alone two, and the one session goes a max of 10 minutes on a good day.

That's the first issue, starting a habit of writing consistently.

The second matter is one of content. The goal for writing at work is to eventually move away from "write the first thing that comes to your mind" to writing about important matters, things I feel should change, topics I feel passionate about, content to give me a leg-up in my career. Yeah, that's not happened. On days I do write for 20 - 30 minutes whatever (and on some days I can write 1500-2000 words easy), they're just random bs even worse than what goes here. No plan or goal is in sight, I'm not writing for an editor or an audience, I'm still writing for myself.

So the question is: how do I motivate myself to get that shit fixed.

Here's five ideas off the top of my head worth trying out:

1. Make a habit out of writing at a certain time of the day. If I consistently write the first thing in the morning, and the last thing before work ends, my 'anchors' are setup well and I feel bad for not doing the writing. If there's a meeting, do the writing the first next block available.

2. Setup pomodoro timer with 'chronometer' minute sounds on, so I know that I'm on the clock, that I need to be writing. Just as I setup the writing timer for my personal writing (it's helped me a tonne), do the same with the writing at work. Keep the timer discipline consistent, and follow it.

3. Reward yourself after reaching a goal. Perhaps the goal is to reach 10k words in 10 days. Or perhaps it's to write on one topic for 10 days. Once the goals are reached, find something you want and get it, so the brain associates the act of consistent writing with positive validation.

4. Plan the shit out of what needs to be written. One of the biggest causes of fears with writing is going into the unknown. What should I write about really, there's only a blank page ahead of me! But if I create a list of things I want to write on, and how I want to proceed on those topics, then there's a good 'journey' set up to follow, and all I will need to do is dumb execution. I don't mind execution, I don't mind planning, I am afraid of doing both at the same time. If I end up dividing the two tasks, it gets a lot easier.

5. Create a schedule. Besides the vague plans, create a schedule for (myself) yourself. On Monday, the writing will be about so-and-so, and another topic for tuesday and so forth. That way there's exact knowledge of what to do, how, and when.

6. Do fun shit. Don't force myself into professional 'important' topics, write on topics that are fun as well, so the motive to keep writing is there...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.