How might I organize work better to get a promotion?

The question is this: I want a promotion at work, I want influence and impact at work. My position is of limited scope, and won't allow me to get anywhere fun and interesting as I hope to. In that context, how might I organize work better to get a promotion, be more visible, and actually be politically relevant within the organization?

Couple of ideas I brought up in my work journal, that I want to share here. Maybe something better will come up as I write this.

  1. Leverage new technologies and platforms, champion their usage across the organization, show folks the value generated and the ease of use. Become a evangelist of the new technology, and the person everybody thinks of when they think of the word. Basically 'get' the credit of 'thinking' of it first!

  2. Motivate the group through workshops, presentations, and talks on various relevant topics related to their technical work and growth. This would be on perhaps a relevant programming language or library, LLM's or AI, security, or any relevant material.

  3. Ceaselessly contribute to the internal company blog/platform by writing on important material that coworkers would find useful. It would most likely be related to events and occasions happening inside the company. Company changed evaluation metrics? How can they be changed? What are the metrics? How can metrics be measured? Company wants mentorship by all? How can one become a good mentor? What are the qualities of a good mentor? Does one really need mentor or is that just big talk from people with nothing better to do?

  4. Seek and leverage opportunities to talk outside the company, and represent the company in workshops, conferences, and other events. Search for such events relevant to your feed, ask to contribute as a speaker, and go for it! Use it as 'pr' for yourself and your company, and bring the learnings and experiences to the team.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.