The closer my windows laptop is to breaking, the closer apple gets to making moolah from me

Yesterday my laptop -- the machine that I write my blogs daily on -- almost broke. It was out of memory. I had to empty out a couple of hundred photos into a backup device to get it to work again.

It god me thinking. My laptop has been my reliable and trusty friend for the last ten years. I bought it almost exactly ten years ago for about seven or eight hundred buckaroos. It wasn't cutting edge at the time exactly, and has only lost its value since. I upgraded it in the same year as I bought it by replacing the hard disk with an SSD, and it's been a trusty partner in crime since. The battery doesn't work, the hinge is always on the verge of splitting apart, and well..sometimes it creaks and croaks even to do basic computing tasks. But I don't ask much from it. Writing mostly, and the very irregular game of Age of empires 3 that was probably 10 years old when I bought the machine.

But. It's quite likely the last windows I'll buy for a while. I hope to make it last for as long as I can get it to. I know the plan was to try to change it this year, but why should I...I've got enough computing devices and e-waste as it is, and unless I absolutely need one, I''m not going to buy a new computer. Besides, as much as I love macs, I don't need something beefy at all. I've spent $5/month (or lesser) for using this laptop in the last 10 years. That's an amazing value for money. Even if apple laptops have brilliant resale values, it doesn't matter because they won't match the value.

However. If this laptop does break, and it wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility for it to do so, the next laptop will almost certainly be a mac laptop, an m2 or an m3, even an m4 perhaps when it might come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.