Perhaps the next big project should be the podcast, and a massive pro-career move, in parallel

Now that March is ending, and I've set a clear goal for what v1 of my website is going to be, here's a summary of the likeliest next steps.

A quick reminder: the early part of January was completing project 120, the later was the website planning. February was writing content for my website mostly, March has involved posting content for the website and making technical changes. The finish line is close, I can see it.

So what's in the bag for April? I've written about several possibilities, including the novel project. I have many ideas swimming inside me for the novel plot, but it's not the right time. Not yet. It will happen, I promise, much sooner than it'll feel like. But not in April.

For work writing, I have created a clear goal for myself. Write and publish two pieces weekly, each at 750 words or more. Do 4 illustrations in the same time, among other things. And so forth. The planning documents are well-organized, so hopefully that shouldn't be too much of a hassle. I will have one entire writing session empty, and it's possibly I'll use it to write novels, but that seems premature to think about right now.

Instead, the direction I'm seriously considering for my personal time is to make some progress with my 'aspirational' career goal that made me put out the website in the first place. I've written about how, to convince people in much higher ranks in big tech companies I will need to think like them, perceive the world like them. With that goal, I've identified 22 books that can get me there, but that's a lot of books to read with no clear timeline on when to finish them, isn't it? Will I ever do the actual reading, or just plan for it? That's the real concern. The idea is, maybe now is the right time, and that reading those books, thinking about them, writing on them is the next big project. After I completely finish the v1 of the website that is.

Here's it spelt out more clearly: for April, I'm considering doing several things in parallel. First, the work on the website will continue, but at a much reduced pace. It will involve me mostly editing the existing pieces from v1, and adding photos and illustrations to all the articles. I need to be satisfied with the existing material before committing to new stuff. Second, I will start with the planning for the podcast on the Bollywood movie, get the tooling in order, get scheduling setup, and ask friends for getting their preparation in order. And third, I will read a tonne of those books from above, imbibe them, make notes and summarize, illustrate the summaries, and internalize the ideas so that I become the person I am hoping to pretend to have become. I don't have the real life experience to actually turn into that fantasy individual. The next best thing is to absorb the learning from books and become it virtually.

That is the current plan anyway. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.