Reading and considerations on habit forming, rituals etcetera

This relates to my earlier post: how does one go about forming strong, long lasting habits that will direct one towards completing towards one's goals, meeting one's visions? How do we go about setting up daily rituals, getting rid of the bad habits, and encouraging good habits?

One of the biggest issues I have with my habits is that my days are unanchored. Between the time I wake up in the morning, to the time I eat lunch, at sometime after noon, there is no 'pre-set' activity that can be used as an anchor to do other activities. And even if I create an activity, it's unclear if that'll last, because that activity itself is unnecessary, it cannot be anchored to anything else I absolutely must to. The author does acknowledge that creating anchors is one of the harder part of the process, and you need to play around a few times before you get it right. But that shifts the issue from I can't do things at all, to I haven't been able to create anchors around the day around which I can put the rest of my chores. So that is something I'll be needing to teach myself, create good, long-lasting anchors that'll help me organize my days better. This is only true for workdays. Because...

Weekends are a whole different ballgame. At least with weekdays I'm on the computer, have some sort of structure to follow, and things to do. With weekends that's not even the thing anymore. I'm glad the author acknowledges the problem, it's really quite validating to realize that the scheduling issues you believe are unique to yourself are not, they're a societal problem. SO I could probably go about creating great habits and rituals for my weekdays, maintaining them over the weekend is going to be quite the challenge. I wonder...what anchors I can create, how I can celebrate, and what actions I can accomplish over the weekend to make sure the habits created are sustainable and reasonable.

Food to thought, for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.