Donating to your alma mater and other sht that is done

Yesterday I went to my college alumni event, met wc, and a few of his friends who are quite characters and that's saying a lot coming from me. Good food, good place, and a great vibe in general. I'd have loved to know more of the people in there, a particularly cute person who was probably several years behind me was super busy talking to her own group of friends or otherwise I've have struck up a conversation. But it was fun regardless, good times were had. And in the end, it's unclear what came over me, perhaps the guilt of not having given money in several years, maybe I was feeling generous in general, or something else was happening, but I gave them a considerate sum of money, that quite shocked me too. All around me the Americans were not really too into donating money to the college, and I could see admissions people having trouble raising even a few hundred dollars, and there I came in, probably one of the more 'standard' job-havers, on the lower side of earnings compared to one's vocation, like a bigshot giving so much money it was embarrassing.

Thing is, the college gave me a great opportunity when nobody else believed in me and my life would have been very different in not necessarily a favorable manner had things not turned out the way they did. So I'm quite thankful for that. I need to pay back, if I ever become a zillionaire, they'll get back returns on their kindness a thousand times over, but until then the minor interest payments of sorts will keep flowing in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.