Comment on the new bus lanes in Kathmandu

Kathmandu is creating bus-only lanes! This has been one of my urban fantasies, for a bus lane to exist at the major thoroughfares instead of an expensive and unnecessary No system. The roads have been painted and rules tentatively implemented, I've seen motorcyclists ignore the rules but generally its the public buses that can be seen on the lane.

My dad hates them because they'll Just make traffic worse for everybody else.. I disagree because the traffic IS everybody else, so it'd encourage folks to take public transport. Except... Kathmandu public transport is smelly, unsafe, rough and dangerous. women hate buses. To force people to use them is to punish them for something beyond their control. And I say this as somebody who took those bases for many years.

If only somebody could come up with a slightly better and a more premium experience for public transport. Maybe there's an opportunity there? Otherwise I'd agree with my dad in that this is a net loss for the society.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.